Mar14SatMarch 14, 2020
Sunday Services Going VirtualIn light of heightened concerns regarding the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the leadership of Cobourg Alliance Church would like to express the importance of caring for our congregation in all respects, including the physical well-being of our community.
Rev. Curtis Peters, the District Superintendent for the Eastern Canadian District reminded us that our times of greatest desperation are opportunities to see the greatness of God manifested on our lives and those around us. Curtis encouraged churches to prayerfully consider the possibility of temporarily moving to ‘virtual gatherings’ instead of regular Sunday services. He also strongly encouraged our full compliance with any present and forthcoming government recommendations.
While we have been monitoring our local and provincial status, the recent closures of public schools and daycares, yesterday's announcement from Ontario health officials recommending events of more than 250 people be cancelled, and the first confirmed case of COVID-19 within the Cobourg and Northumberland area we have decided we will not be hosting services at Cobourg Alliance Church for the next three Sundays beginning this Sunday, March 15th. Instead, our worship service will be streamed live on social media on the CAC Facebook page on Sundays at 10am, allowing us to worship together. We encourage you to reach out to those around you, to help people connect online. *The weekly messages will be made available online for anyone unable to watch live.
If someone asks why Cobourg Alliance Church chose to respond to this health crisis by closing its doors, here’s a great response from Andy Stanley:
- We are loving our neighbours by protecting our neighbours.
- We are not being fearful. We are being responsible.
- This is what love requires of us in this season.
- First, please be mindful of the guidance from the World Health Organization, Ministry of Health Ontario and the local Health Unit (HKPR) specifically. People who have questions or concerns on COVID-19 can call the Health Unit at 1-866-888-4577, ext. 5020, or visit www.hkpr.on.ca. After hours, people can call Telehealth Ontario for medical advice toll-free at 1-866-797-0000.
- Stay home when you are sick and especially if you currently have a fever or have had a fever or any other symptoms of illness in the last 24 hours.
- If you have travelled outside of Canada recently you need to monitor your health for flu-like symptoms for 14 days. A 14 day self-quarantine/isolation is required if you have travelled from China, Iran or Italy, but recommended for all travellers.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If you or someone you know tests positive for COVID-19, please let us know so we can find a way to help, pray for everyone involved and take any necessary precautions here at CAC.
Staff will continue to be available by text and email. You can reach pastoral staff by email or the mobile phone numbers listed below.
- Tyler Tavares - (905) 207-7575
- Tom Barker - (289) 771-2480
- Culture Cafe - March 20th
- Games Night - March 21st
- Parent Social - March 24th
- Saturday Sisters - March 28th
- Info Night Potluck (Virtual Meeting TBD) - March 29th
- Family Movie Night - April 3rd
- Small Groups (that take place at the church day or evening)
- Riot (Jr. High)
- Merge (Sr. High)
- Life Groups: It is recommended that Life Groups, especially large groups not gather during this time. Should you choose to get together in smaller groups please use recommendations from local, provincial and federal health authorities.
We will continue to update you via email. You can also follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram) and check the website for our Live Stream information and COVID-19 updates.
This is a time to come together, be innovative, try new things, and lift up the name of Jesus. Please pray for our church and community, reach out, and expect God to meet His people right where they are.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our staff and elders.
CAC Elders and Staff